Home Chapter One Our Vegan Lifestyle Likes Comment-Free

A Lovely Package Came in the Mail for Me

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Yesterday, with my youngest dangling over one arm trying to grab my cell phone off of the end table, and the oldest up in her bedroom screaming something about needing to use the potty (isn't that always what they're screaming about), I answered the door and greeted the mail man with a huge smile as he handed me a brown square package. At first when I heard the doorbell sound off, I thought maybe it was my Amazon order that I placed last week, a baby food cook book, and two new movies for Eleanore that we used her birthday money to buy. To my welcomed surprise, it was my lovely package!!

I waited for Christopher to come home before opening it to see what was inside. I knew he probably didn't care, but I wanted a witness, haha. You know that saying, "you can't judge a book by its cover"? Yeah, totally true. Lesson learned. As I was telling my swap partner in an email last night, I was all too quick to judge the contents of my package based on its outside appearance. It was wrapped in plain brown wrapping, with no fancy thrills like I had expected. And seriously, shame on me for being such a packaging snob. I'm really dissapointed in myself.


The insides of the package were opposite of the outside, and infact, quite lovely. Everything was wrapped in greens and pinks, zebra print and ribbons. A nice little note marked "lovely", sat on top waiting to be opened and read.



My favorite part of the entire package, were the shoe prints that my swap partner had taken herself. I don't know if I've mentioned it in awhile, but I love photographs of shoes. I don't like shoes, themselves, I find them to be more of a pain in the ass than anything (finding comfortable ones that actually fit, ones that match your outfits, too much work for nothing it seems, ick), but I love to look at them artistically.

My favorite shoes? A pair of black flip flops that I would have gotten for only $3, had I not walked out of the store with them hanging off the side of my stroller. I think some people call that shop lifting? I was distracted by babies, it was completely innocent. Had it been something over $10, I might have gone back and payed for it. You've done it too, right? ...right?


Inside the package marked "gfree", was some beautiful organic gluten free red vines. I love red vines, and have been complaining forever and ever about how they contain wheat, and I'll never eat another red vine again. The sad part of this story though, is that these red vines, the ones she sent me, contain fruit juice, which is not quite as bad as wheat, but to my stomach its really all the same. Wheat, gluten, fructose, they all disagree with me. Oh well. I'm pretty sure I can find a Sasquatch to eat them for me. *hands the bag to Christopher who is foaming at the mouth*

Among the colorful sheets of paper, my second favorite part of the package, next to the shoe prints, was a book full of postcards. "Happy Animal Time: 30 postcards", by Junzo Terada. Love love love. I love postcards, I can't say it enough. I haven't gotten any, or sent any, in way too long. This weekend I'm going to sit down and send some out. I bought some while I was at the Dallas Aquarium that I've been meaning to send, too. I'll have myself a personal postcard party. Who doesn't love getting a pretty postcard out of the blue?

I can't believe I was ever such a Snotty Susy over the outter layer of my parcel, pffft, because the inside of this package held such wonderful treasures. It really brightened my day. This was such a fun exchange to do, I can't wait until another one rolls around.

I hope she likes my package as much as I liked hers.

4 comments:

Alyssa S. August 25, 2009 at 9:55 AM  

Wow, what a great swap! I'm sad you can't indulge in the good, old fashioned Red Vines. They are SO delish.

Art Kitten August 25, 2009 at 9:59 AM  

What a fun idea! I love that she did such a good job choosing things you love - too bad about the red vines, though.

Amanda Megan Miller August 25, 2009 at 3:24 PM  

Yayyyy! So glad you got it! Hope you got my email. And again, I'm sorry for slacking on the outside, I feel like I failed a bit. But all my plans for the outside sort of got trashed. :(

I can't wait for yours though! :)

-amanda
http://meshandlace.typepad.com

Tia Colleen August 25, 2009 at 3:42 PM  

No no girly, no failure on your part. There were no rules saying that the outside of the package had to be a masterpiece. You did an amazing job on the contents, and I loved it.

Post a Comment