Home Chapter One Our Vegan Lifestyle Likes Comment-Free

GF Broccoli Baked Potato soup

Tuesday, September 29, 2009


Times are tough. We need cheap, healthy, gluten free/citrus free meals. A few weeks ago when we were taken by surprise with our first cold front of the season, I made soup. No, I mean, I really made soup. I made the best soup, of all time, of ever. Don't believe me? Try it. I dare you.

This soup is gluten free, and almost vegan. Well, its vegan unless you sprinkle bacon bits on top of a spoonful of sour cream like we did, hehe. But there are always soycon bits, and sour supreme, right? And instead of using an alfredo sauce seasoning packet, replace it with a vegan alfredo (soaked and pureed cashews make a great base). OK so this recipe isn't vegan at all, I lied (I forgot about the milk powder in the alfredo sauce). But, it could be if you really wanted it to be, with just a little extra effort.

Anyways, lets get started-

Gluten Free Broccoli Baked Potato Soup:

You will need...

-3 heads of Broccoli (5 cups, if I had to guess)
-7-ish small/med potatoes
-1/4 cup earth balance (or butter, whatever)
-1 onion, diced
-3 or 4 cloves of garlic
-3/4 cup broth or water
-1 carton of unsweetened soy milk (or good ol' cows milk if that's what you prefer)
-1 Tbsp nutritional yeast
-1 alfredo sauce packet
-1 Tbsp chives
-2 palms of salt (about 2 tablespoons), a little more or a little less, depending on your own personal taste
-pepper to taste
-parsley to taste


Preheat your oven to 375. Wash and poke your potatoes with a fork. Line a baking sheet with foil, place your uncooked potatoes into the oven when its ready, set the timer for an hour, and then move onto working with your broccoli.


Chop up your broccoli, if you're using fresh. You could use frozen, but... really? Hey, you've gotta do what you've gotta do, I've done it before too.

Pile your freshly cut heap of greens into the steamer, and steam it until you can smell it. You don't want it too cooked, but it needs to be a bright green color, still stiff to the touch of a fork. Once that's done, remove it from the heat and set it aside.


When your baked potatoes are finished, take them out of the oven and set them aside to cool. When you know you're not going to burn yourself (you'd be surprised), peel them. I like to peel them right there on the foil, and then just wrap up the peelings and toss it into the garbage, no mess. Now, dice them up. I liked making difference size chunks, because you know you love it when every once in awhile you get an extra big piece on your spoon. That's kind of the best part about potato soup, I think.


Scoop your butter into a pot, turn the heat up to medium, chop up your onion and garlic (we use crushed garlic in a jar, we're lazy), and then cook that until your onions are translucent (you know the drill). Once the onions are finished, add in your potato pieces, and your broccoli.


Turn the heat up to high, add in your broth and milk. Once that gets a good steam going and starts to bubble, turn the heat down to a low or low/medium. Add in your yeast, and then the secret ingredient, the alfredo sauce packet. We use Simply Organic (as seen in the picture above), and dang, its good.

Stir in the remaining seasonings (salt, pepper, parsley, chives, anything else that might want to toss in), turn the heat down to low, and let simmer for about an hour, stirring occasionally.


Top off individual servings with a little bit of sour cream, maybe some shredded cheese, and sit back, relax, and enjoy your delicious home cooked meal.

14 comments:

This Little Bird September 29, 2009 at 9:34 AM  

wow.. this sounds wonderful. I might just try this this week. One question though... you said one carton of soy milk.. how much is your carton, here in Canada we have 1 litre or 2 litre cartons?
thanks for sharing.

Tia Colleen September 29, 2009 at 9:41 AM  

Nessa, I hope you try it, because its sooooo good.

I just checked, and they're half gallon cartons of milk :)

Chubby Stubby Kay September 29, 2009 at 9:48 AM  

Holy Deliciousness!

The soup sounds amazing. I am not the greatest cook, but I think I can manage making this.

Thank you for sharing the recipe! :)

Lauren September 29, 2009 at 2:08 PM  

Yum! This looks delicious =D. I love broccoli soup, and adding potatoes sounds like the perfect addition!

Unknown September 29, 2009 at 7:34 PM  

Oooh this sounds really good. I'm not a big soup person but you put me in the mood. :)

Unknown September 29, 2009 at 7:49 PM  

YUM! This looks delicious!!! Can't wait to make it.

Unknown September 29, 2009 at 9:13 PM  

First comment...hehe. Just found your blog yesterday. This sounds delish! How much is in a carton of milk? I'm in Canada & our cartons are pretty big...like, 2litres.

Anonymous,  September 29, 2009 at 9:23 PM  

PUT IT IN MY MOUTH!

Tia Colleen September 29, 2009 at 9:40 PM  

Thank you for all of your wonderful comments. I can't wait until somebody tries it. If you do, let me know how it turns out??

xx Tia

Anonymous,  September 30, 2009 at 9:44 AM  

I'm totally going to make this. Especially if I can get the 16 month old to eat his broccoli this way (bwahahahaha)

Adrienne October 4, 2009 at 4:13 PM  

Oh my yummy gods.. I was just looking back through my @ comments to find a food site someone mentioned to me when I found your comment about this recipe.. I had missed it the first time around but I'm glad I noticed it this time! My bf is a brocolli addict and I think he will really love this. I'm going to try it this week, thanks so much for sharing!

This Little Bird October 6, 2009 at 4:24 PM  

Hot Damn... that was good soup!
thanks Tia.

Rebecca October 6, 2009 at 10:18 PM  

I finally made it! Well, with some Rebecca friendly changes, Almond milk, no soy milk, etc.

GOOD!

Post a Comment