Home Chapter One Our Vegan Lifestyle Likes Comment-Free

National Pancake Day!

Saturday, September 26, 2009


As if my family isn't spoiled enough, right? Today just had to be National Pancake Day.

I woke up towards the end of a fairly decent Twilight inspired vampire dream, slowly pulled myself out of the warm comfortable bed (its been getting cold at night), and focused my morning burst of energy on combining the flavors of pumpkin and cheesecake on a hot surface. The result? Heaven. If I gave the perfectionist part of my personality any say in the matter, I'd still be in the kitchen trying to achieve the very perfect texture, seeing as how this batch came out gooey and thin, but, for a recipe pulled out of thin air... they probably tasted better than anything that has come out of my kitchen, ever. That's saying a lot.

...or maybe I just really wanted pumpkin, and I'm flattering myself?

Either way. YUM. I'm more than happy to share my thrown-together-at-the-last-minute recipe with you, in case you care to try them out for yourself. Its worth it. I promise.


(GF) Pumpkin Cheesecake Pancakes:
-1 cup pumpkin
-1/2 cup cream cheese
-1 cup baking mix (I'm all about Pamela's)
-1 tsp stevia (this can obviously be substituted with more sugar, maybe 1/4 cup)
-1/4 cup earth balance (butter, if that's your thing)
-1/3 cup sugar
-pinch cinnamon
-1 egg
-2 cups water

Mix everything except the water and baking mix, together in a good sized mixing bowl. I used my hand mixer for this part, but probably should have used my vita mix, to avoid clumps of cream cheese. Oh well, in the end it didn't matter, they still turned out amazing. Getting off track, sorry. Anyways, mix all of those ingredients together, add in the baking mix, and stir it all together with a wooden spoon. Slowly add in your water, pouring a little more, or a little less, depending on your personal preference. I found that making it a little bit thinner, made it easier to cook.


These pancakes take a smidgen longer to cook than a regular pancake, so try be patient (they smell soooo good). I used a 1/3 sized measuring cup to pour my batter onto the griddle, but would recommend using 1/4 cup instead. My pancakes didn't form bubbles in the center, indicating the right time to flip (like a normal every day flapjack would), instead, a darker edge of orange would form around the edges. Flip it then, and flip it quickly- these guys are messy.

I'm maple syrup intolerant, but my family isn't. I drizzled a splash of pure syrup over their pancakes, and then topped them off with a little bit of whip (we only have this in the house for homemade pumpkin spice lattes. The recipe for that is coming next week, get ready for it!!). And just as you saw up at the top of this post: mouth watering orange edible heaven...



Happy National Pancake Day!!

9 comments:

Sarah September 26, 2009 at 10:50 AM  

You, my friend, are FAR more domestic than I will EVER be. I think I've cooked maybe twice since the baby was born. She will 6 months old this week. I am not a fan of the kitchen.

Unknown September 26, 2009 at 10:51 AM  

HOLY COW, I WANT THOSE!!

I didn't know today was National Pancake Day!

In the UK, Mardi Gras is called 'Pancake Tuesday' and the pancakes (like crepes, over there) are stuffed with ice cream and chocolate sauce, fruit and whipped cream... BEST DAY OF THE YEAR!

I'll have to make these pumpkin cheesecake ones. YUM

Oh Mandie September 26, 2009 at 12:11 PM  

*drools...*

if there are 2 foods in the world that I love more than any other foods in the universe its pumpkin and cheesecake. Heaven in a pancake!

kcroteau September 26, 2009 at 4:10 PM  

these sound (and look) sooo good!

and I hate to think what "getting cold at night" is to you - up here it dropped below 40F last night. we still refuse to turn the heat on so the house was around 58-60F all day. ;)

Anonymous,  September 27, 2009 at 11:59 AM  

Those look great but I was jut off to IKEA to get a cinnamon roll.

Anonymous,  September 27, 2009 at 6:55 PM  

Oh Sweet Jesus, NOM

Tia Colleen September 28, 2009 at 9:05 AM  

Seriously guys, has anybody else made them yet? They taste REALLY good cold, like little mini cheesecakes.

Shalyn April 7, 2010 at 11:22 PM  

hey i was looking through your old posts at your recipes. in this one i noticed a bottle of stevia, which i use but i've never seen it in this container before. can this be used for cooking? (im used to splenda where there's one form to use in drinks, etc and another form used for cooking). i really enjoy your blog!

Post a Comment