Home Chapter One Our Vegan Lifestyle Likes Comment-Free

Flashback Friday: 8 hours into my first labor

Thursday, May 20, 2010

With last weeks missed flashback, and awesome trip to the hospital (heavy on the sarcasm there), this week I wanted to post something birth/baby related.

This morning as I was standing in the kitchen, taking a minute to catch my breath after returning home from a long walk and trip to the park- a video flashed across the main computer screen (our screen saver is photos and videos), and I had to laugh. This video is horrible. So I guess... its kind of perfect?

Never in a million years did I think I'd ever share this video with anybody other than my own family, but- well what have I got to lose (outside of some of the best readers ever)?

A little background info. Let me set the scene for you.

**It was August 16th, 2006. Four years ago. I was scheduled to be induced two days later, but my water broke in the midst of a "stay up all night tonight, and sleep all day tomorrow, so I'll be well rested for my labor" power-through, and well... things started to get ugly.

About 6 or 8 hours into my labor, I hadn't yet had an epidural (I didn't get that until 12 hrs in), but I was exhausted, and miserable. So, they came and pumped my IV full of Demerol, after at least two hours of begging. Little did I know, this would make me completely insane, loopy, and about 5 seconds after Christopher turned off the camera (too bad he didn't keep filming), I erupted into a psycho fit of laughter, and then passed out for the next hour or longer, waking only to laugh.

I ended up laboring for 20 hours, without any progression, so I had a semi emergency c-section, and that was that.

This is me. 70 pounds heavier, 4 years younger, drugged up, talking about ice tubes. Enjoy...




************************************

Join us for a Flashback, won't you? We're here, every Friday, digging into treasured memories of our past, and sharing them with each other. Grab a picture of your own, write a little blurb to go with it, and then come back here and post your link on the list below. Don't forget to grab our button (wayyyy down there at the bottom of our page), or type out a text link, linking your readers here to discover the time travels of others as well :)

21 comments:

CourtneyKeb May 20, 2010 at 8:16 PM  

My favorite is when you say "and Baebae"
hahaha
way adorable!

Christina May 20, 2010 at 10:08 PM  

haha, very cute! You seem pleasant even with all that going on. I didn't think of or want any video of me when I was at the hospital for Kavi's birth! But I looked like a zombie from lack of sleep and pain. It was so horrible really...haha. Over 36 hours of labor, no progression past 7cm, then also an c-section (b/c of meconium in there for hours). Oye vey. :)

Chana@ Mamma Town May 20, 2010 at 10:25 PM  

Holy cute-ness! A video flashback! It seriously doesn't get any better Tia! Your husband looks so skinny it makes me jealous! You look exactly like I did (minus the perfect skin!) but you seemed much more in "happy land" than me!

Casey May 20, 2010 at 10:55 PM  

Oh, that was cute, you were so civil, haha!
When my 3rd was born, my grandma was in the room. She asked me over & over "what do contractions FEEL like?"
I never thought I'd be in a scenario where I'd want to punch my grandma, lol

Lacey May 20, 2010 at 11:10 PM  

Gosh, I feel like a whimp, because I wasn't even as pleasant as you were and I got sleep and labored for less time.

Bobby got the first half of a nasty contraction on video but stopped half way through because my head was literally whipping from side to side when I stopped to scream "turn that damn thing off!"

I don't think I'm brave enough to share it though...haha! I don't want you guys to see my ugly side. But you, my dear, were especially beautiful and charming! Thanks for sharing!

Colleen May 20, 2010 at 11:14 PM  

Okay, so the best part is when you say turn it off, he turns it off instantly. :) He knew who was boss! You don't mess with a laboring mama!

beka May 21, 2010 at 12:44 AM  

"icechips....yeah, they're very yummy..very icy"....
Oh, gosh. Thanks for the laugh at 12:40am, Tia!
Dude, that sucks--12 hrs of no progress? Darn that pitocin..and the fact that you couldn't walk for a while to maybe help the contractions...
At least, that's what my mom, mother of 6, has told me.

"there's tia in her bed...'there's baby!'"....Christopher has a very nice voice, Tia:) Couldn't help but notice.
Totally would've loved to see that fit of laughter, though. ;) Good narration...nicu and all that. :)

Mommy Elephant Sarah May 21, 2010 at 1:37 AM  

Hahaha the way you said "nooo turn it off" cracked me up. For some reason we didn't take any video. Now I'm wondering why not. My husband twittered through the whole thing, no joke! But no video. Very odd.
I really enjoyed that video! hehehe. :)
Oh and I didn't get any ice chips either! Whats up with that?! I wasn't offered any! I did have a coke half way through pushing, and let me tell you it tasted AMAZING! hahaha!

Alyssa S. May 21, 2010 at 6:53 AM  

First of all, you were brave for letting a camera in there! I think my exact words were "hell no" to one being in the room with me. I love Christopher asking "how are you doing". I'm pretty sure I would have said "how do you think???" but my labor with Amelia was hard, long and I was in a lot of pain, though, for that all, I think I stayed pretty pleasant :) Most of all, I love the whole ice chip lowdown!

Oh Mandie May 21, 2010 at 8:15 AM  

Looks like those ice tubes aren't just a PA hospital thing.

I've got to tell you, if my husband had tried to play with a video camera either of the two times I was in your position, I would have told him to shove it where the sun doesn't shine.

You're a trooper!

Devon May 21, 2010 at 8:23 AM  

oh my... the things that you do and say while in labor...

it's funny to see and hear a video of you.. when i'm so used to just pictures and typed words! it kind of puts you in a new light! (in a good way!... a video makes it more personal!) :)

Amanda May 21, 2010 at 9:23 AM  

"this is not food!"

LMAO

Alita May 21, 2010 at 10:17 AM  

Oh my, you were very sweet and docile. Very adorable while in labor. I can't believe you let your hubby tape you, but then again yes I do. What a sweet memory. I also, love how he listened to your needs and shut it off. Good guy!

Anika May 21, 2010 at 12:41 PM  

HAHAHA... Thanks for inviting me into that personal space...made me laugh and remember how much I loved and hated having to eat ice chips.

Rogue Wild May 21, 2010 at 2:21 PM  

hehe you are just too awesome

we didn't have any video or pictures during ... my then (now ex) husband wanted to see when the doctor checked and he almost passed out lol a nurse stuck in on a chair in the corner and he stayed there until it was over

Chelsea May 21, 2010 at 10:16 PM  

"THEY'RE ICEY AND CRUNCHY!" the whole ice chips part is priceless.

i'll join in next week for sure! Cheers doll.
YOu guys are super adorable.

Unknown May 21, 2010 at 10:29 PM  

Hahaha, too funny! There were no cameras of any kind allowed in the room with me...I think I might have threatened death to whoever tried even with their phone. My labor was almost 23 hrs exactly before they decided on the c-section.

considerthelillies May 21, 2010 at 11:21 PM  

you sure are cute when you are loopy!

Yellow House May 22, 2010 at 8:56 PM  

So I have been meaning to link up my Flashback Fridays here for awhile! I love the idea! I wish I would have remembered to do it yesterday, but I hope it's okay to post it now on a Saturday. I look forward to following your blog and playing "for real" next Friday!

Lynn May 23, 2010 at 11:04 AM  

So been there! Very funny. ;)

Loddelina May 28, 2010 at 3:47 AM  

Loved the video flashback - what a great idea!

Post a Comment