Home Chapter One Our Vegan Lifestyle Likes Comment-Free

A Onesie For Brother

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

I'm kind of a grinch, when it comes to giving my daughter's craft time. It used to be all the time- I'd set her up with a box of markers, some construction paper, a sheet of stickers, and she'd be happy. But then she started getting greedy, and nothing was good enough. I'd give her these markers, but she'd want those. I'd give her blue paper, but she'd want orange.

There was room for negotiation, though, always.

"You can have this lined alphabet paper to for your craft time today Miss Eleanore, now would you like crayons, or markers, to go with it?" ...she'd choose crayons.

Not even minutes later, she'd be bored with the crayons, having only used one color, and in her whiny voice, asking for the markers.

"No... why don't you try using some different color crayons, more than just the purple. You can practice writing your A's, your B's, and your C's. Draw them each in different colors, and then when you're all finished, call me and let me know, I'll come see them!" ...oh, okay, that doesn't sound so bad.

She'd draw one letter A, put the crayon down, and say "Ok Mommy, I'm all finished, come look! Can I have my markers now?" ...um, no.

Craft time became a pattern. She was never satisfied. I'd set her up with more options, giving her both crayons and markers, two different kinds of papers, more ideas for her brain to work with, and while she was happy for the first 45 seconds of it all, the fun never lasted past the initial pen to paper moment.

"Craft time is hear by cancelled!", I established.

...oh booooo Mom, really? Cancelled?
Yes. I'm sick of the drama.

Well the other day, while baby Brother was taking a nap, Eleanore had started complaining of boredom, of course, so I figured we could give craft time another go. There had been several non crafting weeks, giving it another try wouldn't hurt.



I remembered some Crayola fabric markers that I had gotten on sale at Michael's nearly half a year ago, and some blank onesies leftover from Charlie's Christmas outfit. That would be perfect! She could make a onesie for Brother.

And she could do everything in her means to avoid having her picture taken, too.

So how'd craft time go, you wonder? ...


Well we finished the onesie! I may or may not have done most of the artwork, following loosely some very bossy instructions, but... Eleanore for sure was the hand behind all of raindrops and the "cat" under the grass (its not dead, its just... living in dirt).

Brother was very pleased with his handmade gift from Sister. So pleased that he got applesauce on it the very first time he wore it.

And while craft time wasn't a total failure, I don't think it will be making its way back into our daily routine anytime soon.

14 comments:

beka May 25, 2010 at 7:59 PM  

So that's the story behind the cute onesie... :)
Love the cat "living in the dirt"! Oh, gosh! Crack me up!

soul_searching_mama May 25, 2010 at 8:01 PM  

Yeah, craft time can be tough and sometimes feel like a chore. Luckily mine isn't at the age yet where he demands types of art instruments, but he can be aggravating when he tries to color on things that aren't meant to be colored on. I hope craft time gets easier for you!

They call me mommy... May 25, 2010 at 8:14 PM  

What a great idea! So much fun! I am also a Grinch with craft time but my kids love it when we get to do crafts because they don't get to do them everyday, I let them help with chores and cooking to make up the creative difference (; I have been wanting to make some tie-dye shirts since Christmas! Might just be the next hands on project!
Adorable onesie.
Ps you almost got me with the title of this post, for a second I thought the onesie was for little bean!!

Unknown May 25, 2010 at 8:39 PM  

That is the coolest onesie EVER!

Haha, you know that craft time is a religion in my house. So funny how different kids are, even when they are the same age, you know?

Lacey May 25, 2010 at 8:45 PM  

I just LOVE the onesie! Great idea and I may just steal it one day. ;) Idea cred will follow of course.

Chana@ Mamma Town May 25, 2010 at 9:36 PM  

I wish grown ups could wear onsies. I'm dead serious, think of how comfortable that would be to walk around in! I guess we did have our own version back in the day called "body suits"-although they just are not the same. This is an adorable idea, and I'm SO stealing it once we have a baby bro or sis to do this for! You are such a creative Mama chica!

Johanna May 25, 2010 at 9:52 PM  

but it's oh so cute ;o)

TexasBobbi May 25, 2010 at 11:48 PM  

I love that idea, how sweet. Where did you find a solid white onsie in toddler sizes?

Anonymous,  May 26, 2010 at 12:25 AM  

That's a great craft! Your little sassy pants will grow out of that phase and by then Charlie will be a jerk. Unless he's a perfect angel. I bet he will be.

Mommy Elephant Sarah May 26, 2010 at 12:49 AM  

What a great idea having her make that onesie!! It's so cute! Wearable art! I love it! :)

Colleen May 26, 2010 at 5:58 AM  

The hardest thing for me to do was to let go of the control over craft time and just let them do whatever.
I love the onesie that she created, especially the lightning bolt.

CourtneyKeb May 26, 2010 at 7:19 AM  

Man that stick figure was very close to being struck by lightening!
Haha I bet it's cute on Charlie!

Anika May 26, 2010 at 9:14 AM  

So sweet! Can't wait for my little one and I to make one one day when she's a bit older...

considerthelillies May 26, 2010 at 11:19 AM  

very sweet idea! The onesie is precious!

Post a Comment