Home Chapter One Our Vegan Lifestyle Likes Comment-Free

Charlie Gets Tubes In His Ears

Monday, October 25, 2010

Its been about a year now, that we've been dealing with Charlie's chronic ear infections. I really can't even remember the last time that he wasn't sick.

When we left Charlie with the babysitter, to go deliver his baby sister back in August, he had a double infection. I remember being nervous about how he'd react to us leaving him, since he was extra grumpy because of the pain, but- he did fine (for the most part). And then when Evelyn turned a month old, he started showing signs of another infection (gagging on anything he put into his mouth, laying his head on the floor- all the same things that he did with the previous infections). Finally, seeing how close together his infections really were, we got him in to see a new pediatrician, who sent him to an ENT, who scheduled a surgery to have tubes put into his ears right away.

That day was today.



Putting on his hospital gown


Since we currently don't have a vehicle (in case you missed it, Christopher got into an accident last week and wrecked the Van- hes ok btw), my good friend Carrie offered to take us to his appointment. Thank you Carrie! We were running late, and got there just 2 minutes before his scheduled surgery, but- we made it! They called us back as soon as we signed in, so... hope you're ready, kid!



A very nice nurse took us back into a chilly yet warm room, with a blue-ish sort of tint to it. Christopher's sweater, Charlie's pants, Lovey, the sheets, the gown- the way that the colors reflected off of the walls filled the air with an overall feeling of calmness. Kind of perfect, how it turned out that way.




Charlie was a champ, really. He shed a few tears, and said the words "go home" more than once. Surely he hated being in the cold room, with two socks on one foot, and strangers zooming in and out and about-



In between our distracting him with songs about his Loveys, (because we've gained a new one on top of the one that he already had) it wasn't as bad as we thought it would be. I think somehow he had known that it was coming.



Before we knew it, Miss Debby came in, a friendly nurse with the very best smile, and said it was time to go. I kissed my baby goodbye, reminded him over and over again how much I loved him, and then followed him with my eyes as he rode on Debby's hip all the way down the hall, and around the corner into the Operating Room, both Loveys in arms.

I did my best not to cry, as he shouted "Bobby!", which really means "Mommy", as we were walking away.

We went into recovery room 2, a large space filled with rocking chairs and other mothers waiting on, or already holding their little ones- where we sat nervously, having conversations about nothing that made sense at all (to me at least), hoping to pass the time.

Soon, the doctor came out, and told us that he had put up a little bit of a fight (and that they had won, obviously), but the surgery was done and he'd be out soon. Thank goodness, bring me my baby!

About 15 minutes after we had originally taken our seats, out came my groggy little mini Sasquatch, wrapped up in a warm blanket, reaching for me, and quickly stealing the hearts of all of the nurses, and everyone else who happened to be in the room with us.



We rocked back and forth until it was time to go, not saying much, just enjoying the warmth from the blanket and each other. By the time we got home, he was back to his normal self, and ready to watch Space Puppies.

Our fingers are crossed in hopes of no more ear infections, and hey- hearing how things sound above the water (because hes been hearing things through walls of water), will probably be a nice change of pace for the kid.

You did great Charlie, we're proud of you.

29 comments:

Kari October 25, 2010 at 12:37 PM  

Like I said before, you REALLY do have a way with words. I 'amost cried reading this. I'm so glad everything went smoothly. He's sooooooo cute!!

Christina October 25, 2010 at 12:37 PM  

So stressful when our kids have to go through these things. :( I am happy he was back to himself after you got back home though!! :)

CourtneyKeb October 25, 2010 at 12:50 PM  

I don't know if it's because I'm hormonal or if it's because you really know how to narrate well, but I totally started crying as they were wheeling him away.

I'm glad you all did well though, and here's to HEARing!

Megan Harmeyer October 25, 2010 at 1:01 PM  

I read this at work and had to go to the bathroom to dab my eyes. Poor little Charlie! The pic of him grabbing his lovey just tore at my heart. I'm glad the surgery went well and you had your little guy back in your arms. I hope this means way fewer ear infections for the little guy.

Alyssa S. October 25, 2010 at 1:05 PM  

Poor little man :( My sister battled over a similar decision and was happy, in the end, for making the decision to put the tubes in. My nephews infections were so bad, eventually he had hearing problems, which later lead to speech problems because he couldn't hear the way he was saying things. After the tubes, his hearing improved drastically. I can't even think of the last time he had an ear infection since he had them in.

Krystle October 25, 2010 at 1:06 PM  

Yay! He'll probably starts saying Mommy instead of Bobby real quick, a friend of mine had tubes in her daughters ears and her speech took off like a rocket!

undomestic mama October 25, 2010 at 1:07 PM  

Oh, I can barely imagine what that must have been like for you! My sister had tubes put in when she was just a little bit older than Charlie and they fell out way before they were supposed to, but the bit of time they were in did wonders! I hope Charlie has a good experience with them too.

Unknown October 25, 2010 at 1:53 PM  

I agree with Kari - you just have a way of making a reader feel like they were right there with you!

I hope the tubes help little Charlie avoid those nasty ear infections! My daughter never had an ear infection until after her 5th birthday, & has had 2 since then. They are no fun to say the least!

Anonymous,  October 25, 2010 at 2:00 PM  

Oh my I am such a sap today. I just here on my couch and cried! So glad everything went well..and hopefully he'll feel 100% sooner than later. Keep us posted will ya please?

beka October 25, 2010 at 2:01 PM  

Oh man. You had me nearly crying there.
(At least tearing up)

His crying face? oh dear.
So glad the surgery went well--hope he's much better now!

They call me mommy... October 25, 2010 at 2:38 PM  

Well it has been said before but Tia, you have a way with words darling (: you could write books! Poor little Charlie! So glad that you found a doctor that knew what he needed, I hope everything stays better! We will keep him in our prayers!

jessicajane October 25, 2010 at 2:47 PM  

aww. poor charlie. hope this helps him and he doesnt get any more!

Chelsey - The Paper Mama October 25, 2010 at 2:57 PM  

Oh goodness. Poor Charlie! I'm glad it all went well. I hope he doesn't get more ear aches!

Anonymous,  October 25, 2010 at 3:07 PM  

Scarlett had 7 ear infections (most of them double infections, can't remember exactly) before she was 6 months old. She got tubes put in the day before she was 6 months. She's doing SO much better! No more ear infections since although her ears have drained a bit here and there.

I bet Charlie will be so much better with them! It sucks getting them but it's definitely worth it.

April October 25, 2010 at 3:40 PM  

Way to go Charlie! What a little champ!

Amy Nielson October 25, 2010 at 5:34 PM  

oh my goodness, i hope this fixes things! recover soon charlie :) glad he was such a champ.

Colleen October 25, 2010 at 5:45 PM  

Awwww... poor baby! And poor mommy too. I'm sure that was one of the most agonizing moments of your life. I imagine that the tubes will make a world of difference for him.

Brandy L October 25, 2010 at 6:17 PM  

Oh Tia this almost brought tears to my eyes. Such a heart warming story and i'm sure having the tubes ni his ears will make a huge difference, not only for you guys but for charlie as well. I've known a number of parents whose children needed tubes and it made a huge difference. :D

Jessie C October 25, 2010 at 8:18 PM  

Aw. :/ Glad it went smooth and hope it fixes the infections!

stacey October 25, 2010 at 8:21 PM  

Awww I'm glad your lil' Charlie made it through okay. Hopefully there will be no more ear infections!!!Such a touching post - well written:)

rachel October 25, 2010 at 11:09 PM  

I got a little tear in my eye at the "BOBBY!" part. So glad that's over with. How nervous you must have been for your Charlie.

Rogue Wild October 25, 2010 at 11:23 PM  

Tia, please keep updating how things turn out with the tubes! I'm so glad you guys got an excellent NEW pediatrician that got things going ... We lost 3.5 yrs because we weren't as lucky ...

big hugs to Charlie for being such a brave big boy today!!

Lisa@goodknits October 25, 2010 at 11:26 PM  

aww! I'm so glad he did well. I hope they help!

mrs zombie October 26, 2010 at 5:04 AM  

Glad it went well. My J had a tube put in his eye - it was not a pleasant day BUT all is well now! (;

Gianni October 26, 2010 at 11:12 AM  

Poor Charlie! The pic of his crying face broke my heart. Ugh!! Glad the surgery went well and he's back to his normal self <3

Oh Mandie October 26, 2010 at 12:50 PM  

oh goodness, what a little trooper Charlie is! I'm so glad that everything went well and that your little man is doing good. Now he's able to hear you tell him how much you love him loud and clear :)

Devon October 26, 2010 at 2:27 PM  

what a brave little guy!! i hope that everything is smooth sailing from now on... i can't imagine having to hear thru a wall of water... awful!

Michelle October 26, 2010 at 5:45 PM  

Poor Charlie! I understand though; I too had tubes in my ears several times when I was little. I think I was 2 the first time. It helped tremendously. He will be fine! :)

Jennifer October 27, 2010 at 9:40 AM  

Those pictures break my heart! Poor little guy! I hope everything gets better, way to be brace momma! I know that can't be easy!

Post a Comment